You see advertisements and options for treating mold as a DIY project. While you certainly might be able to treat very minimal areas of mold, the truth is that mold removal shouldn't be DIY. There are several things that play into this, and most of them revert to safety and efficiency.
Take a look at these top 3 reasons that you should consider an expert if you need mold to be treated in your home or business.
Mold is one of those substances that you don't want to share. One of the reasons it's not great to tackle as a DIY project is because it's too easy to miss some or even risk spreading mold. For example, take containment of mold. Professionals will set up a safe zone that basically encapsulates the area that is affected. The intent behind this is to make sure the mold doesn't spread into other areas, even by mistake.
Mold spreads very easily. All it takes is a material that has some inconspicuous spores on it to be carried to other areas for those spores to hop off and set up shop elsewhere. You certainly don't want to worry about the mold spreading because you missed some or didn't handle the materials properly.
Another reason mold removal isn't a great DIY project is the safety. It can be quite challenging to identify the type of mold that you have in a room. While testing can be completed, it's better to just bring someone in who knows how to approach mold safely instead.
Safety includes things like proper air filtration in the area that is being restored. It also means wearing the appropriate safety gear to protect yourself from the damage that mold can do. Black mold is harmful to breathe in, so proper breathing equipment needs to be worn in those scenarios.
Safety elements also include things like gloves and safety goggles, as well as cleaning and disinfecting the area when restoration is complete.
Finally, professionals who handle mold damage are highly trained and skilled to do so. They've been through extensive training. In some states, like Florida, we are required to have specific certifications in order to work with mold. That alone tells you that mold contamination really is not meant to be handled as a DIY project.
What you should know and understand is that handling mold safely and efficiently is best when completed by a professional that has been trained for this kind of work.
If you have mold damage that needs to be handled, Restoration Xperts is here to help. Our teams have been handling mold removal and restoration for many years. We are IICRC certified and skilled to take care of mold and get your home back to the condition it was in before the damage occurred.
We have emergency services available, or you can simply give us a call to get a free estimate for your project. We're here to help!